Some of the possible effects of an overdose with Restasis (cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion) include headaches, eye irritation, or vomiting. However, the specific effects will vary, based on how much was taken and whether it was used as an eye drop or taken by mouth. Treatment will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that result from the overdose.
Can You Use Too Much Restasis?Restasis® (cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion) is a prescription medication used to treat chronic dry eyes. As with most medications, it is probably possible to overdose on this product.
Although the specific effects of an overdose are not fully known, they would likely vary depending on a number of factors, including the Restasis dosage and how it was taken (as an eye drop or taken by mouth).
What Are the Effects of a Restasis Overdose?It is not known if it is possible to overdose on this eye medication or what the specific effects might be, as there have been no reported cases of a Restasis overdose. However, it could be expected that using too much of this medicine might result in significant eye irritation, including burning, redness, itching, watery eyes, and eye discomfort.
Taking an overdose of Restasis by mouth could cause effects similar to an overdose with cyclosporine, the active ingredient in Restasis. These effects may include the following:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Burning in the mouth
- Sore gums
- Altered taste
- Increased sensitivity in the hands
- Feet swelling and burning
- Feeling anxious
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension)
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia)