Available as a prescription eye drop, Maxidex is used to help reduce swelling of the eyes and eyelids caused by certain eye problems. As a steroid, it works by reducing inflammation and interfering with they body's normal immune response. It comes in the form of an eye drop, and is typically used four to six times daily. Side effects may include blurred vision and eye redness.
What Is Maxidex?Maxidex® (dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension) is a prescription eye medication used to treat swelling of the eyes and eyelids caused by certain infections, injuries, or eye conditions. It belongs to a class of drugs called corticosteroids, or just "steroids" for short.
How Does Maxidex Work?Like other corticosteroids, Maxidex works by reducing inflammation. It also interferes with the body's normal immune response, which can slow down or delay healing. This can be a problem if an infection is present, or if there is a risk for infection.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Maxidex include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an eye suspension (eye drop). It is normally used in the affected eye(s) four to six times a day, but may be used as often as every hour if the eye problem is severe.
- To use Maxidex, shake the bottle well to mix the contents, then pull down the lower eyelid gently with your finger to form a pocket. Instill the eye drops into this pocket.
- Do not allow the tip of the bottle to touch any surface, including the eye. This helps keep the eye drops free from contamination. Contaminated eye drops could cause an infection in your eye.
- Apply light pressure to your tear duct (the small hole in the corner of the eye, near the nose) after instilling the eye drops to help reduce the amount of the medicine absorbed into the rest of the body.
- One of the preservatives in Maxidex may be absorbed by soft contact lenses. Do not wear contact lenses while using this medication. Ask your healthcare provider when you may wear contacts again.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.