When treating eye inflammation with Maxidex, your dosage will be based on the type and severity of your condition. The standard recommendation is one or two drops into the affected eye four to six times a day. If your problem is more severe, you may have to use this eye drop every hour.
An Introduction to Dosing With MaxidexThe dose of Maxidex® (dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the type and severity of the condition being treated. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Maxidex Dosage GuidelinesThe standard dose for mild eye conditions is one or two drops in the affected eye(s) four to six times a day. For severe eye conditions, the standard dosage is one or two drops in the affected eye(s) every hour. The dose will then be gradually reduced as the condition improves and swelling decreases.
General Information on Using MaxidexSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Maxidex include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an eye suspension (eye drop). It is normally used in the affected eye(s) four to six times a day, but may be used as often as every hour if the eye problem is severe.
- To use Maxidex, shake the bottle well to mix the contents, then pull down the lower eyelid gently with your finger to form a pocket. Instill the eye drops into this pocket.
- Do not allow the tip of the bottle to touch any surface, including the eye. This helps keep the eye drops free from contamination. Contaminated eye drops could cause an infection in your eye.
- Apply light pressure to your tear duct (the small hole in the corner of the eye, near the nose) after instilling the eye drops to help reduce the amount of the medicine absorbed into the body.
- One of the preservatives in Maxidex may be absorbed by soft contact lenses. Do not wear contact lenses while using this medication. Ask your healthcare provider when you may wear contacts again.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Maxidex, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.