Eyes Home > Generic Zymaxid

You can find generic Zymaxid (gatifloxacin) in one strength, just like the brand-name version. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has assigned an "AT" rating to the generic version, which means that it is considered equivalent to Zymaxid. However, it may have different inactive ingredients.

Can I Buy a Generic Version of Zymaxid?

Zymaxid™ (gatifloxacin) is an antibiotic eye drop used to treat bacterial conjunctivitis, a type of eye infection commonly called "pink eye." It belongs to a class of medications called fluoroquinolones, or "quinolones" for short.
Brand-name Zymaxid is made by Allergan, Inc. However, the drug is also available in generic form.

Generic Zymaxid Availability

Like the brand-name version, generic Zymaxid is available in one strength: Gatifloxacin 0.5% ophthalmic solution. It is made by Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Is Generic Gatifloxacin as Good as Zymaxid?

All generic medications must undergo certain tests to compare them to brand-name medications. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) then looks at these tests to decide if the generics are equivalent to the brand-name medications and assigns a rating to each one.
An "AT" rating means that the FDA has determined that a generic medication is equivalent to a brand-name medication. Generic gatifloxacin has an "AT" rating, meaning it should be equivalent to Zymaxid.
However, generic medications are allowed to have different inactive ingredients than the brand-name medication. This might include fillers, dyes, or other ingredients that may cause problems for people with allergies or sensitivities.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2018 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.