Eyes Home > Zymar Dosage
How much Zymar will you need to treat pink eye? It depends; your Zymar dosage is based on how severe your symptoms are. In most cases, treatment will last seven days, with four to eight applications per day. Do not wear contact lenses during treatment, and make sure to keep the tip of the dropper from touching any surfaces, such as your fingers or eyes.
The dose of Zymar® (gatifloxacin) your healthcare provider recommends will depend on the severity of your infection. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard dose of Zymar for bacterial conjunctivitis ("pink eye") is one drop in the infected eye every two hours while awake (up to eight times a day) for two days, and then one drop up to four times a day while awake for five more days.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Zymar include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an eye drop. It is normally used four to eight times a day for seven days.
- To use this medication, tilt your head back and gently pull the lower lid of your eye down to form a pocket. Place the drops into this pocket.
- Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after using Zymar. This helps prevent the spread of the infection.
- It is important to keep the Zymar bottle free from contamination to help prevent further infection. Do not allow the applicator tip to touch any surface, including your fingers or eyes.
- You should not wear contact lenses while using this medicine. Ask your healthcare provider when you may wear contacts again.
- Zymar should only be used in the eye. Do not take it by mouth or apply it to your skin.
- You should begin to feel better within a few days of starting Zymar. However, this does not mean your infection is gone. It is important that you finish the full course of this medicine. Stopping treatment too soon may cause your symptoms to return or the bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.