Eyes Home > Travoprost Dosage
There is only one standard travoprost dosage, regardless of your age or weight. The recommended dose is one drop into the affected eye (or eyes) once daily in the evening. It is important to follow your travoprost dosing guidelines as prescribed, as using the eyedrop more frequently than once a day can make the medication less effective.
There is only one standard dosage for travoprost ophthalmic solution (Travatan®). As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dose of Travoprost for Glaucoma or High Eye PressureThe recommended travoprost dose for treating open-angle glaucoma or high eye pressure (ocular hypertension) is one drop into the affected eye(s) once daily in the evening. Interestingly, using the medication more frequently than once a day actually makes it less effective, so do not take it more often than prescribed.
Some considerations for people taking travoprost include the following:
- Travoprost comes in the form of an eyedrop. It is usually taken once a day in the evening.
- If you use other eyedrops, make sure to separate your travoprost dosage from your other eyedrops by at least five minutes.
- If you wear contacts, remove them before using travoprost and wait at least 15 minutes before putting them back in.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before using the medication.
- Gently pull your lower eyelid down with a finger (most people find that their middle fingers work best) to create a small pocket. Without actually touching the dropper to the eye, squeeze the bottle to place one drop into the lower eyelid.
- Keep the bottle free of contamination by avoiding touching the tip to anything, including your eye, hands, or any surfaces.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Travoprost will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or travoprost dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.