Eyes Home > Tobradex Dosage
The recommended Tobradex dosage varies based on the form of medication used (eye drops or ointment) and the severity of the eye problem. When using the ointment, apply a small amount of the medicine into the affected eye up to three or four times daily. For the eye drops, the standard dosage is one or two drops into each affected eye every four or six hours.
An Introduction to Dosing With TobradexThe dose of Tobradex® (tobramycin and dexamethasone) your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on the particular form (ointment or suspension) and the severity of the eye problem. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Tobradex Ointment DosingThe recommended dose for Tobradex ointment is a "small amount" (about a ½-inch ribbon) applied to the affected eye(s) up to three or four times daily. Many people find the idea of using an ointment in the eye to be quite strange and unfamiliar, but you can rest assured that this product is intended for use in the eye.
Tobradex Suspension DosingFor the suspension (drops), dosing is slightly different. The standard dosage is one or two drops into each affected eye every four or six hours. During the first 24 to 48 hours, your healthcare provider may recommend a higher dosage of one to two drops every two hours (to help get the inflammation under control).
General Information on Using TobradexSome considerations for people using Tobradex include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an eye suspension (drops) and an eye ointment. It is typically used in the affected eye(s) 3 to 12 times a day (depending on whether the ointment or the drops are used and the severity of the problem).
- In order to prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper or ointment tube to any surface, including the surface of the eye.
- To use the ointment, make a small pocket in the lower lid by gently pulling down on the cheek just below the eye. Apply about ½ an inch of ointment carefully, and then look downward before closing your eye. The ointment may temporarily cause blurred vision.
- When using the drops, make sure to shake the bottle well before each use.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Tobradex, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.