Eyes Home > What Is Timolol Used For?
Timolol is used for treating various conditions, depending on the form of the medication. The tablets are approved for preventing migraines, treating high blood pressure, and reducing the risk of future heart attacks and heart-related death in people who have had a heart attack. The eyedrops are used for treating high eye pressure and open angle glaucoma.
An Introduction to Timolol UsesTimolol (Betimol®, Blocadren®, Istalol®, Timoptic®) is a prescription beta blocker medication. The different forms are approved for different uses.
- Preventing migraine headaches
- Treating high blood pressure (known medically as hypertension)
- Reducing the risk of future heart attacks and heart-related death in people who have had a heart attack.
Uses for Timolol EyedropsThe eyedrop forms of timolol (Betimol, Istalol, and Timoptic) are approved to help lower eye pressure in people with the following conditions:
- Open angle glaucoma
- High eye pressure (known medically as ocular hypertension).
- High pressure within the eye (intraocular pressure)
- Damage to the optic nerve
- Loss of peripheral (side) vision
- Blindness (in certain cases).
- Medications such as timolol (see Glaucoma Medications)
- Traditional surgery (see Glaucoma Surgery)
- Laser surgery (see Glaucoma Laser Surgery).