Eyes Home > Precautions and Warnings With Timolol
Tell your healthcare provider about all medical conditions you have before using timolol. Warnings and precautions for the medication should also be discussed with your healthcare provider, as it is important to be aware of potential problems. For example, timolol can make heart failure, breathing problems, or myasthenia gravis worse. Also, you may not be able to take it if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Using Timolol?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking timolol (Betimol®, Blocadren®, Istalol®, Timoptic®) if you have:
- Myasthenia gravis
- Heart failure
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- A history of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Heart block
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- An upcoming surgery
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant