Eyes Home > Restasis Uses
If you have dry eyes, your healthcare provider may prescribe Restasis. This medication comes in the form of an eye drop and is approved for use in people age 16 and older. It works by increasing tear production caused by eye inflammation. Possible off-label uses of Restasis include treating glaucoma, keratitis, and corneal melting syndrome.
What Is Restasis Used For?Restasis® (cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion) is a prescription medication used to treat chronic dry eyes. This medication increases the eyes' ability to make tears when tear production is reduced due to eye inflammation.
- Advanced age
- Medications, such as:
- Contact lens use
- Eye surgery
- Environmental conditions, such as low humidity.
- Watery eyes
- Feeling a gritty sensation, like sand is in the eye
- Sensitivity to bright light.
- Environmental strategies, such as:
- Using a humidifier
- Avoiding smoky areas
- Blinking often
- Artificial tears
- Eye ointments, which are thicker than artificial tears and often used at night
- Punctal plugs, small devices inserted into the tear ducts