Eyes Home > Maxidex Overdose

Although it is not known what exactly to expect from an overdose of Maxidex (dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension), using too much of this medication might cause problems like eye burning and stinging. However, the specific effects will depend on how much was used and whether it was used in the eyes or taken by mouth. Treatment will likely involve supportive care.

Can You Use Too Much Maxidex?

Maxidex® (dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension) is a prescription eye drop used to treat eye swelling and inflammation caused by injury, infections, or other eye conditions. Although a Maxidex overdose is not likely to be dangerous, it is unknown what exactly to expect.
 
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including how the medication was taken (used in the eye or taken by mouth) and how much was used.
 

Effects of an Overdose

Using too much Maxidex could cause symptoms of eye irritation, such as:
 
  • Burning
  • Stinging
  • Redness
  • Discomfort.
 

Treating a Maxidex Overdose

Treatment for an overdose on this eye drop, if necessary, would likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
 
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Maxidex.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation
Advertisement


Topics

Medications

Quicklinks

Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.