Eyes Home > Latanoprost Dosage
The standard latanoprost dosage for the treatment of high eye pressure or glaucoma is one drop into the affected eye(s) once a day in the evening. It is important to apply the solution into the lower eyelid without actually touching the dropper to the eye. Latanoprost dosing is the same for everyone, regardless of your age or weight.
There is only one standard dosage for latanoprost ophthalmic solution (Xalatan®), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your latanoprost dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Latanoprost Dosing for Glaucoma or High Eye PressureThe recommended latanoprost dose for treating glaucoma or high eye pressure (ocular hypertension) is one drop into the affected eye(s) once daily in the evening. Interestingly, using latanoprost more frequently than once a day actually makes it less effective.
Some considerations for people taking latanoprost include the following:
- Latanoprost come as a solution, which means that it does not need to be shaken before use. It is usually taken once a day in the evening.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before using latanoprost.
- Gently pull your lower eyelid down with a finger (most people find that their middle fingers work best) to create a small pocket. Without actually touching the dropper to the eye, squeeze the bottle to place one drop into the lower eyelid.
- Alternatively, you can contact the manufacturer for Xal-Ease™, a free eye drop applicator device that can help you administer the drops more easily (ask your healthcare provider how to get Xal-Ease or visit the Web site for latanoprost for more information).
- If you use other eye drops, make sure to separate latanoprost and your other eye drops by at least five minutes.
- Keep the bottle free of contamination by avoiding touching the tip to anything, including your eye, hands, or any surfaces.
- If you wear contacts, remove them before using latanoprost and wait at least 15 minutes before putting them back in.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Latanoprost will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or latanoprost dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.