Eyes Home > Iquix Uses

If your corneal ulcer is caused by a bacterial infection, your healthcare provider may recommend that you use Iquix. This medication comes in the form of an eye drop and works by blocking an enzyme necessary for bacteria to live. Iquix can be given to children as young as one year old, and older adults seem to have no special problems with it.

What Is Iquix Used For?

Iquix® (levofloxacin ophthalmic solution) is an antibiotic eye drop. It belongs to a group of medications called fluoroquinolones, or "quinolones" for short. Iquix is used to treat corneal ulcers.
The cornea is the transparent tissue that covers the front of the eye. An ulcer occurs when there is an open sore on the cornea. The most common cause of a corneal ulcer is an infection, which can be due to bacteria, viruses, fungi, or a parasite.
Corneal ulcers can be quite uncomfortable. In addition to eye pain, symptoms may include:
  • Blurred vision
  • Red or bloodshot eyes
  • Feeling like something is in the eye
  • Tearing
  • Sensitivity to light.
Prompt treatment is important to prevent scarring of the cornea and loss of vision. However, permanent vision loss sometimes occurs even when treatment is prompt. The specific type of treatment will depend on the exact cause of the corneal ulcer.
Iquix is just one of several possible treatment options. This medication is used to treat corneal ulcers caused by bacteria. It will not treat other corneal ulcer causes, such as viral or fungal infections. Other eye drops may be used in addition to Iquix to treat the symptoms of a corneal ulcer, including pain and inflammation.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.