Eyes Home > Iquix Overdose
In animal studies where an overdose of the active ingredient in Iquix was given intravenously, it caused tremors, coordination problems, and seizures in mice. However, Iquix is an eye drop and contains very little of the active ingredient; therefore, overdoses in people are not expected to be serious. Medical care should still be obtained, especially if the drug was taken by mouth or with other substances.
Can You Use Too Much Iquix?Iquix® (levofloxacin ophthalmic solution) is a prescription eye drop used to treat corneal ulcers. This medication belongs to a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones, or "quinolones" for short.
As with most medications, it is probably possible to use too much Iquix. Although the specific effects of an overdose are not fully known, they would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Iquix dosage and how it was taken (used in the eye or taken by mouth).
What Are the Effects of an Iquix Overdose?In animal studies, overdoses of levofloxacin (the active ingredient in Iquix) given intravenously to mice caused the following problems:
- Droopy eyelids
- Decreased body movements
- Coordination problems
- Shortness of breath
- Shakiness (tremor)
Extremely high doses of intravenous levofloxacin caused death in mice. However, such problems are unlikely in people, since the amount of levofloxacin in an entire bottle of Iquix is quite small.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for an Iquix overdose, if necessary, would likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. If too many drops of Iquix are placed into the eyes, supportive care may involve flushing the eyes with warm tap water.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.