Eyes Home > Dorzolamide/Timolol
When and How to Use This MedicationGeneral considerations to keep in mind during treatment with dorzolamide/timolol include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an eye drop. It is used in the affected eye(s) twice daily.
- Two forms of this medication are available, a standard multi-dose bottle (with preservatives) and single-use containers (with no preservatives).
- For the multi-dose bottle, soft contact lenses can absorb the preservative (benzalkonium chloride) in these eye drops. In order to avoid this problem, you must remove the lenses before using the medication and wait at least 15 minutes before reinserting them.
- For the single-use containers, one container can be used to treat one or both eyes (depending on whether you are treating one or both eyes). However, because it does not contain any preservative, you must throw out any remaining medication in the container after a dose (it cannot be saved for later).
- If you use other eye drops in addition to dorzolamide/timolol, make sure to wait at least 10 minutes between using dorzolamide/timolol and another eye medication.
- In order to prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye or the skin.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed.