Eyes Home > Dorzolamide/Timolol Dosage
The typical dorzolamide/timolol dosage is one drop in the affected eye twice a day. This amount should not be decreased without your healthcare provider's approval, and it certainly should never be increased. If this dose is not effective for your situation, your healthcare provider may add another glaucoma medication or recommend a different one altogether.
An Introduction to Dosing With Dorzolamide/TimololThere is only one standard dose of dorzolamide/timolol (Cosopt®), regardless of your age, weight, or the severity of your glaucoma. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Standard Dorzolamide/Timolol Dosage
The recommended dosage of dorzolamide/timolol for treating glaucoma or high eye pressure is one drop in the affected eye(s) twice daily. It is generally not recommended to increase the dose beyond the standard recommended amount, even if your eye pressure remains high.
If this dosing does not adequately lower the pressure in the eye, your healthcare provider may add another type of glaucoma medication or switch you to a different medication.
General Information on Using Dorzolamide/TimololConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with dorzolamide/timolol include the following:
- For the multi-dose bottle, soft contact lenses can absorb the preservative (benzalkonium chloride) in these eye drops. In order to avoid this problem, you must remove the lenses before using the medication and wait at least 15 minutes before reinserting them.
- For the single-use containers, one container can be used to treat one or both eyes (depending on whether you are treating one or both eyes). However, because it does not contain any preservative, you must throw out any remaining medication in the container after a dose (it cannot be saved for later).
- In order to prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye or the skin.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dose of dorzolamide/timolol, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.