Lotemax Side Effects
Serious Side EffectsSome side effects with Lotemax, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Glaucoma and high pressure within the eye, which can cause permanent damage
- Eye infections (because steroids can suppress the immune system)
- Perforation of the eye (in people who have a thinning of the eye surface due to certain diseases)
- Signs of an allergic reaction to the medication, such as:
- An unexplained rash or hives
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing.
Of course, any eye medication can cause problems (such as an eye infection) if it is contaminated, so make sure to avoid touching the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye. Report any signs of an eye infection (such as severe pain, swelling, or redness) to your healthcare provider right away.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the Lotemax side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while using the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to Lotemax, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.