- This medication comes in the form of an eye drop, a gel, or an ointment. It is used in the affected eye(s) four times a day (or sometimes more often, at least initially).
- The eye drop form of this medication is a suspension, so you must shake it vigorously before each use. For the gel, turn the bottle upside down and shake once before each dose, to fill the tip.
- For the ointment, apply a small amount (approximately a half-inch ribbon) in the space between your lower lid and your eye. Pull your lower lid down a bit to create a small pocket.
- For the drops, if you wear contact lenses, you must remove them to use the medication. In order to prevent the lens from absorbing the preservative in the medication, make sure to wait at least 10 minutes after using the drops before reinserting the lenses. Do not wear your contact lenses if your eye is still red.
- For the ointment or gel, do not wear your contact lenses at all during treatment.
- To prevent contamination of the medication, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.
Dosing InformationThe dosage of this medication your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the severity of your eye condition and how you respond to the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Lotemax Dosage for more information.)