General Information on Using LotemaxSome considerations for people using Lotemax include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an ointment, gel, or eye drop. It is used in the affected eye(s) four times a day (or sometimes more often, at least initially).
- The eye drop form of this medication is a suspension, so you must shake it vigorously before each use. For the gel, turn the bottle upside down and shake once before each dose, to fill the tip.
- For the ointment, apply a small amount (approximately a half-inch ribbon) in the space between your lower lid and your eye. Pull your lower lid down a bit to create a small pocket.
- For the drops, you must remove your contact lenses prior to use. In order to prevent the lens from absorbing the preservative in the medication, make sure to wait at least 10 minutes after using the drops before reinserting the lenses. Do not wear your contact lenses if your eye is still red.
- For the ointment or gel, do not wear contact lenses at all during treatment.
- To prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Lotemax, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.