Ketotifen Overdose

If you take too much ketotifen, you probably won't have any adverse effects. In fact, there have been no reported cases of an overdose with this product. Because the medicine is an eye drop, very little of it reaches the bloodstream. Ketotifen overdose symptoms are also unlikely if the drug is taken by mouth, which might happen with a child or a pet.

Is It Possible to Take Too Much Ketotifen?

Ketotifen (Alaway®, Zaditor®, Zyrtec® Eye Drops, Claritin® Eye) is an antihistamine eye drop approved to treat eye allergies. It is available without a prescription. An overdose with ketotifen is unlikely to cause serious problems, for a few different reasons.
 
If a person uses too much ketotifen as an eye drop, overdose symptoms are unlikely to occur, since very little of the medication actually reaches the bloodstream. Even if the medication were accidentally taken by mouth, as might occur with a child or a pet, serious problems would probably not result.
 
An entire standard-sized bottle of ketotifen contains only 1.725 mg of the medication. In studies, no problems were seen when higher doses (such as 20 mg) were taken by mouth.
 

Treatment for an Overdose With Ketotifen

Given that there have been no reported cases, it is not known how best to treat a ketotifen overdose. Therefore, treatment, if necessary, will include supportive care. This type of care consists of treating any of the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
 
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much ketotifen.
 
How to Motivate Your Child With ADHD at School
Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.