Alphagan P Uses
Alphagan P is licensed to reduce eye pressure. This helps prevent damage to the optic nerve, loss of peripheral vision, and possibly blindness. Specifically, people use Alphagan P to treat high eye pressure (ocular hypertension) and open-angle glaucoma. This prescription medication is approved for use in adults and children as young as two years old.
What Is Alphagan P Used For?Alphagan® P (brimonidine tartrate) is a prescription eye drop that helps lower the pressure in the eyes (intraocular pressure). Specifically, it is approved to lower eye pressure in people with the following conditions:
- Open-angle glaucoma
- Ocular hypertension (high eye pressure that is not accompanied by changes in vision or damage to the optic nerve, as would happen with glaucoma).
Not everyone with high eye pressure has glaucoma, although high eye pressure can lead to glaucoma. Effectively treating high eye pressure can help prevent glaucoma.
Glaucoma is not a single disease. It is actually a group of diseases sharing certain features, such as:
- High pressure within the eye (intraocular pressure)
- Damage to the optic nerve
- Loss of peripheral (side) vision
- Possible blindness.
Of all the different types of glaucoma, open-angle glaucoma is by far the most common (see Types of Glaucoma).
Although there is no cure for open-angle glaucoma, symptoms can usually be controlled and further damage may be prevented or reduced. The most common glaucoma treatments are:
- Traditional surgery (see Glaucoma Surgery)
- Medications (see Glaucoma Medications)
- Laser surgery (see Glaucoma Laser Surgery).
Alphagan P can be used by itself or, if necessary, combined with other types of glaucoma medications or treatments.